All about Freshly-Prepared Yogurt for Health:
Yogurt also known as curd has innumerable amounts of benefits to our body. The bacteria present in them helps in our digestion and also kill harmful viruses. The difference between freshly made yogurt and readily available store bought yogurt is the presence of active bacteria that homemade yogurt has, on contrary, the store bought is often cold, heavy, thick and makes very difficult in digestion and also cause finer channels to become congested. The cold yogurt always loses its good bacteria and therefore the health yielding benefits are also less. According to Ayurveda, yogurt contributes to weight gain to its being cold and heavy in nature.
To benefit from the good bacteria, always select products that contain live active cultures. Never to heat the curd even at home, as it will kill the good bacteria and will lose all its benefits for our body. Vegetarians are most benefited with fresh yogurt, since it adds about 13 gms of protein in a cup of curd. It also has B complex, calcium, potassium, folic acid and phosphorus in it. People on antibiotics should compulsorily take yohurt in order to replace the healthy bacteria. Freshly made yogurt takes an hour to digest when compared to milk that takes three hours to digest. Individuals who have difficulty in drinking milk or digesting can substitute it by eating fresh yogurt, which not only digests fast but also aids in digestion.
Freshly made yogurt has other benefits like decreasing bloating of stomach, also relieving you from constipation and diarrhea and other disorders of stomach. Ayurveda highly ommends to take yogurt in the form of buttermilk making it easier for digestion and intestinal comfort after every meal. Ayurveda also says not to combine milk or cream with yogurt as curd is only fermented food recognized as ‘sattvic’.
According to Ayurveda, yogurt is good in balancing vata dosha when taken sour, but it should be avoided or reduced by pitta and kapha dosha people.
So now let’s learn on how to make fresh yogurt after speaking about its benefits.
What are the methods of making fresh yogurt?
There are various methods of making yogurt. Automatic electric yogurt maker can also be used to make, but it is actually to make yogurt without any need of these.
Simply we need the following Ingredients:
- One packet of whole milk (normal or organic)
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Heat the milk until it is boiled and foams up. Turn off the heat and cool the milk about body temperature.
- Just after checking with your finger the temperature of the milk, add the 2 tablespoons of yoghurt into the milk. The curd should be in room temperature before adding.
- Cover the utensil with a lid and store in a warm place where it is not moved much or there is no draft.
- Do this procedure twice a day, both morning and evening to enjoy the benefits from eating freshly made yoghurt.
Other forms of making yogurt are:
- Take thermos and pour hot water into it for several minutes. Empty the water out and add the milk/yogurt mixture into the thermos. Cover and let it stand overnight. Fresh yogurt will be ready by morning, save some yogurt from the newly made for your next batch.
- The Salton yogurt maker is also a good to make yogurt. Only one needs to check, how much time they are leaving yogurt in the maker. It is better to keep for less time to prevent sourness. Three hours would be sufficient for a great curd.
Plain yoghurt is relished for its health benefits and also for good taste. But you can try different recipes with combination of curd in them. They taste great at the same time interest the eater with its deliciousness.
Here are few recipes we come up with for you to enjoy, Take a look!!
Beetroot and Yogurt Soup
- 4 grated beetroots
- 1 cup fresh curd
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a quart of water, for about 45 minutes boil the grated beetroots. Turn the heat off and add pepper, salt into it.
- Bring all boiled ingredients to room temperature and add yoghurt. Stir well and the mixture with yoghurt to a blender. Enjoy the soup.
- Salad with Cucumber and Yogurt
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. nicely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, diced and seeded
Mix all the ingredients nicely in a salad bowl and let it stay for about 30 minutes before serving.
Spinach with Yogurt
- 1 lb. spinach
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsps. Ghee
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp grounded coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain fresh yogurt
- Wash the spinach, remove off stems and nicely chop. Keep them aside
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee and sauté all the spices gently for about a minute
- Now add spinach and stir fry for a minute. Add water to it and mix and cook them for about 5 minutes until spinach is soft.
- To this paste, add the yoghurt and serve warm, as a side dish.
By now, we all understand the health benefits of yogurt, due to its lactic bacteria which is also referred as good bacteria .This bacteria supports our immune system, reduces constipation, balances stomach acidity and prevents diarrhea, body fats too are reduced, protects our bodies from bugs that cause food poisoning, gives stronger bones and last but not least gives a fresh breath. Overall it is a highly nutritious food, provides you with appetite-increasing protein, and many supplements like minerals and vitamins. All these advantages and benefits can be acquired with unsweetened freshly made home yogurt that also makes an extremely healthy snack, drink, and importantly an easily available home medicine.
Use full Links: